New Mexico Product Liability Attorney
Defective products are more than just a nuisance; they can cause significant injuries and illnesses for consumers. At Liles White, we are here to help if you need a New Mexico product liability attorney by your side. Our team has extensive experience handling product liability claims in New Mexico and throughout the U.S., and we understand what it takes to determine liability and secure full compensation for those who are harmed. We are not afraid to stand up to aggressive insurance carriers or at-fault companies in these situations.
Why Choose Liles White for Your Case
- The New Mexico personal injury attorneys at Liles White have more than 20 years of litigation experience that will be used to take on negligent companies or manufacturers.
- We are a bilingual team that takes the time to get to know our clients and understand their goals and needs so we can provide the best assistance possible.
- As a team of trial lawyers, we are confident in our ability to take on well-funded corporations and their teams of attorneys.
- Our law firm has a network of subject matter experts that we can use to help ensure that each case we take receives a full investigation.
Why Do You Need an Attorney for a Product Liability Case?
Product liability cases can be incredibly challenging, particularly because the injury victims will be going up against well-funded companies and manufacturers and their insurance carriers. However, a skilled New Mexico product liability lawyer can use their resources and legal expertise to fully investigate these claims and stand by their client throughout the process.
An attorney will gather all evidence needed to prove liability. This could include:
- Uncovering all previous problems with the product
- Internal company or manufacturer documents
- Photo or video surveillance related to the incident
- Statements from eyewitnesses
Additionally, a product liability lawyer will work with trusted medical and economic experts to fully calculate the total expected losses their client will incur due to the incident. An attorney will also handle all communication and negotiations with the other parties involved to ensure their client receives full compensation for their losses.
How Do Products Become Defective?
When we examine the recall website operated by the U.S. government, we can see that there really is no limit to the type of products that can become defective and cause harm to consumers. A quick glance at the list can see defective:
- Auto parts
- Cleaning products
There are various ways that products could become defective. At Liles White, our New Mexico product liability attorneys often discover that consumers are harmed due to one of three things:
- Poor product design. There are times when a product with a poor design makes it through various internal company inspections and regulatory agencies. Design defects or poorly designed products can lead to significant injuries to consumers.
- A manufacturing defect. Even with a product that has a good design, there is a chance that it could experience a manufacturing error that renders it harmful to consumers. Manufacturing defects can affect a few products or an entire line of a product.
- Problems with a product label. Consumers rely on a product label to give them the information they need to know about the product’s use or consumption. If the label is incorrect, this could lead to significant consumer injuries or illnesses. Labels can be incorrect if they do not have the correct instructions, proper safety warnings, ingredients, dosages, etc.
Who Is Liable for a Defective Product?
There may be various parties that can be held liable in the event a defective product causes harm to a consumer. First and foremost, we will always look at the company that designed and manufactured the defective product. Sometimes the manufacturer and designer are the same company. Other times, one company designs a product and another company manufacturers it.
Additionally, even though sellers, distributors, and retailers may not be involved in developing or manufacturing a product, they could still be held liable for selling a defective product to consumers. There are various factors that go into determining liability in these cases, such as whether or not certain parties knew about the defect and what steps were taken to remedy the issue.
Our New Mexico wrongful death lawyers understand product liability laws and can help you hold the negligent party responsible if someone you love has lost their life due to a defective product.
Time Limit to File a New Mexico Product Liability Claim
Any person injured due to a defective product in New Mexico needs to be aware that they have a limited amount of time to file a product liability lawsuit in order to recover compensation. The New Mexico product liability statute of limitations is three years from the day the injury occurs or from the date the injured party discovers, through reasonable diligence, that they were harmed by a product. Failing to file a product liability claim within this three-year window will result in the victim being unable to recover the compensation they are entitled to.
What Types of Compensation Are Available in a Product Liability Claim?
There may be various types of compensation available to those who are harmed due to a defective product. At Liles White, our New Mexico product liability lawyers are regularly able to help clients secure the following types of economic and non-economic compensation:
- Economic compensation. This will include various types of damages a victim can suffer that are relatively calculable by gathering bills and receipts. Also referred to as special damages, we can often help clients secure compensation for the following:
- Their medical bills
- Lost income if they cannot work
- General household out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage expenses
- Non-economic compensation. This will include damages that a product liability victim can sustain that are harder to calculate. These are also referred to as general damages, and can include a victim’s:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of quality of life
- Physical impairment or disfigurement
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Contact a New Mexico Product Liability Lawyer Today
If you or somebody you care about has been injured or has become ill due to a defective product sold in New Mexico or throughout the U.S., contact the team at Liles White for help as soon as possible. Our attorneys have extensive experience handling complex defective product cases, and we know what it takes to determine liability so injury victims can secure the compensation they are entitled to. We will not back down from aggressive insurance carriers or at-fault companies in these situations. When you need a New Mexico product liability lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation of your case or by calling (361) 826-0100.